Friday, March 8, 2013

Hear me roar?



For over 25 years I have called myself a feminist.....and been proud to do so.

My early days of feminism were part of a teenager finding her way in the world, my mind filling with Sylvia Plath, Germaine Greer and others.  I had many an argument in the search for equality, in a school where the ultimate prize was being drafted to an afl club.

I went to law school whe the number of male and female students was almost equal but still the male students dominated lectures and tutes  I lived in college and loved it, but college life was dominated by boys activities, the female students often objectified and vilified.  The achievements of female students at college often flew under the radar.

I have worked for nearly 20 years in the still male dominated industry of law.  The females of those equal number of law students have not continued in the practise of law.  Looking round, I see few of my female university colleagues.  Most have departed the law, often for roles more comparable with raising a family.  I still see less women judges and silks.  I am one of only 9% of partners I law firms in Victoria who are female.

I have had 3 babies without any decent paid maternity leave, I have juggled young babies, a business, Childcare, being a lawyer.

My daughter got to live her whole life only knowing her country having a female Prime Minister but I see a nation that is challenged by having a female Prime Minister, many seeing no shame in the most awful treatment of her.

I live in a town that still has a male only members club.  I, despite my own efforts, live in a town that still does not have true options available to women.

Everyday I deal with clients who are the victims of physical, verbal, economic violence.  I work with women who are severely economically disadvantaged, career experience and options, savings and superannuation effected by family duties and relationships.

I am still a feminist and I still have a lot of work to do......


Happy International Women's Day


No comments:

Post a Comment